September 27, 2010

One-hand meals

When I was pregnant, I filled my freezer with as much food as I could to keep myself nourished when my baby prevented me from cooking. I made ziti, soup and muffins - the foods I know freeze well and are easy to make in large batches. I had no idea how smart I was with the muffins. While in the hospital, they would bring E in at 6:30 am and visitors couldn't come until 8am. I had a hard time getting out of bed to put her in the bassinet, so I would end up holding my baby for an hour and a half while starving. So I learned to eat the things I could with one hand. While opening a banana with my teeth, I realized how unintentionally genius it was to have four batches of muffins in my freezer.

In addition to muffins, I've started scrounging up ideas for other one-hand meals that I can prepare ahead of time and leave in easy-to-reach places (which does not include any shelf in the fridge except the top one, for fear of leaning over too far and dropping E on her head or the freezer, for fear of hard, frozen things falling on us). Baby carrots, cut up fresh fruit and pb&j sandwiches top the list. Extra points for anything that won't stain if I spill it on myself, because it's pretty much a given that I will spill it on myself. These things also end up in zip-top bags thrown into the diaper bag when E and I take our morning walk (at which point they become diaper bag snacks). Keep posted to the blog for new and exciting one-hand meals and diaper bag snacks and share your ideas in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment