January 26, 2011

First foods

It's been six long months, but little E has finally started solid foods! In preparation for the big day, I bought an 11-cup food processor and a bunch of freezer trays with lids. My plan was/is to make a new food as close to every night as possible. So every night I steam or bake up a new fruit or veggie, puree it and freeze it. The next day, I put the frozen food in a freezer bag, labeled with food and the date. The freezer trays get washed and I make the next batch.

So far I've made:

- Sweet Potato
- Butternut Squash
- Carrot (notice a color scheme?)
- Apple
- Pear
- Peaches

Up next:

- Peas
- Blueberries

The one thing they don't seem to tell you in any of the make-your-own-food resources I've seen is the consistency for first foods. So after a terribly failed attempt at sweet potatoes (waaaaaay too thick), I went to the store to see what jarred baby food looks like. Turns out, it's super watery. I also tried giving her rice cereal (the one thing I've not made on my own), which had a serving suggestion for baby's first meal. The ratio was 3:1 water to rice. Once I got the consistency down I started mixing one veggie or fruit with the cereal. Success!


I've also started taking notes when I see jars of baby food for flavor combination to try at home. But more on that later.

1 comment:

  1. consistency seems really important! what a thing to leave out!

    ReplyDelete